The Switch is an ideal system for a little bit of mind exercise, with Nintendo’s own Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (which has weirdly never made it to North America) and the upcoming Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, along with smaller download-only efforts focused on particular puzzle types. Another is arriving soon for those who enjoy a bit of word puzzling.
It’s Word Forward, coming to Switch via Thalamus Digital having originally been created for mobile and PC/Mac by Rocketship Park. It’s racked up millions of players through platforms like Itch.io, Android and iOS, and looks like an interesting take on the genre – some of its official blurb is below.
Can you use all of the letters in the 5×5 grid to make words disappear and clear the board? Word Forward isn’t about spelling the longest words or the most clever – it’s about using chess-like strategy to clear every tile and declare victory in 500 puzzles. It requires wits and cunning – Word Forward is a brain teaser that will really make you think!
PLAY the #1 word puzzle game enjoyed by more than 6 million people worldwide.
– SPELL words by tracing a line between tiles in any direction, including diagonally
– SWAP any two letters on the grid by using a SWAP TOKEN, earned during gameplay
– JUMBLE the tiles on the grid to replace all the letters with new ones when all else fails
– CHANGE the letter on a tile to any other letter you choose using the SWAP MODIFIER
– ELIMINATE stubborn tiles with BOMBS to get yourself out of a tight spot
It’s out on 3rd December in North America and Europe – its default price will be $4.99USD but it’s 50% off in pre-orders.
Let us know in the comments if you’re tempted to grab this one.