Fishing in NieR Replicant is a very lucrative business and can earn players a lot of gold, but it is also difficult to master the techniques.
NieR Replicant has added little side quests and mini-games to add more interest to the game. One of the many little quests players can undertake is fishing, which can help them earn money and fulfill quests while they are at it.
Fish in NieR
There are many types of fish that players can get in NeiR Replicant, in a variety of locations around the map. In order to find specific types, players will have to travel around to the different water locations with the correct bait.
These fish are:
- Shaman Fish, Location: Seafront Beach, Bait: Lure, Worth: 60 Gold, Quests: 1x for Main Story Progression
- Carp, Location: Home Village, Bait: Earthworm, Worth: 100 Gold
- NieR‘s Sardine, Location: Seafront Beach, Bait: Lugworm, Worth: 125 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Gambit and A Signature Dish
- Blowfish, Location: Seafront Pier area, Bait: Lugworm, Worth: 500 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Gambit, Part 2
- Rainbow Trout, Location: Seafront Pier area or the Northern Plains near where players can find Royal Fern in Nier Replicant, Bait: Lure or Earthworms, Worth: 600 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Gambit, Part 3
- Bream, Location: Seafront Pier area, Bait: Lure, Worth: 750 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Gambit, Part 4
- Black Bass, Location: Home Village, Bait: Lure, Worth: 1500 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Gambit, Part 5
- Shark, Location: Seafront Pier area, Bait: Sardine, Worth: 1250 Gold, Quests: Bon Appetit!
- Sandfish, Location: Desert, Bait: Lure, Worth: 2500 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Gambit, Part 6
- Royal Fish, Location: Eastern Road pond, Bait: Earthworm, Worth: 4000 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Gambit, Part 7
- Blue Marlin, Location: Seafront Pier area, Bait: Sardine, Worth: 1900 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Gambit, Part 8
- Hyneria, Location: Desert, Bait: Sardine, Worth: 6000 Gold, Quests: The Fisherman’s Final Gambit
- Giant Catfish, Location: Eastern Road pond, Bait: Carp, Worth: 2250 Gold, Quests: Bon Appetit! 2
- Dunkleosteus, Location: Seafront Pier, Bait: Sardine, Worth: 12,500 Gold
- Rhizodont, Location: Desert, Bait: Sardine, Worth: 600 Gold
How to Fish
Fishing in NieR Replicant is not an easy task, and it can take a bit of getting used to. Also, fishing in the game is not well tutorialized, so players will probably need to fumble around for a while to figure it out. But once players have a good idea of how to fish, they can use it to make tons of money and fulfill some side quests too. It’s a common mistake that NieR Replicant players make during their first playthrough.
- Find the right fishing location for the type of fish.
- Press B or Circle to select the bait, ensuring that the correct bait is being used for the fish a player is looking for. Bait can be purchased from the bait shop in town, in the same town where players can buy groceries like watermelons in NeiR.
- Once the bait is selected, the fishing rod will automatically cast into the water.
- Wait out small nibbles from fish and wait until the rod is really being yanked on to try and reel the fish in. The rod will bend a lot, giving the player a visual tell for the fish being on the line.
- A bar will appear at the bottom of the screen; this indicates the fish’s willingness to fight against the pull of the player. Once it is depleted, the fish will be reeled in successfully. Once a fish’s stamina is at about 20% or lower, players can press X (PlayStation) or A (Xbox) to reel the fish in.
- In order to keep the fish on the line, keep the analog stick pointed in the opposite direction that the fish is swimming in. If the fish swims to the top right, pull to the bottom left. If the fish is swimming to the top left, players should pull the analog stick to the bottom right. Once the bar is depleted, the fish will be caught automatically by the unnamed main character of NieR Replicant.
While players will already be pouring up to 80 hours to complete NieR Replicant, the extra few hours put in to make some money off of fishing is well worth the effort.
NieR Replicant is available now on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
MORE: NieR Replicant’s Daredevil Trophy Controversy Explained
God of War PS5: Every Aspect of Ragnarok Fulfilled Before the New Game